Prayer for Writers
(taken from Saintly Support: A Prayer for Every Problem)

May the Lord guide me and all those who write for a living. Through your prayers, St. Frances de Sales, I ask for your intercession as I attempt to bring the written word to the world. Let us pray that God takes me in the palm of His hand and inspires my creativity and inspires my success. St. Francis de Sales, you understand the dedication required in this profession. Pray for God to inspire and allow ideas to flow. In His name, let my words reflect my faith for others to read. Amen.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Knock Knock

Jesus is knocking on the door of your heart, but you must open the door to let Him enter. He's calling out to us to be the salt of the earth, even to be saints. I used to think the saints were born saints who could perform miracles or set up orphanages or charitable hospitals. However, most of them became saints by their own free will with the aid of God's grace. Perhaps you think it impossible for a God so good to call you who is most unqualified. Remember these words (that I must give due credit to Fr. Anthony of my parish ;) ) - God does not call the Qualified; He qualifies the called!

Most of us are not called to become canonized saints as compared to Ss. Therese, Anthony or Augustine. Instead, we're called to be faithful to our current state in life, whether that be Mother, Doctor, Priest, Teacher or Plumber. How can we do this? First and foremost, we must pray. Ask God to make known to you His will in even the smallest task. Then, we must abide by it at every moment. It can be difficult and you will fail many, many times. It's truly a life-long process. Conquer your vices, one at a time. I know one of my vices is anger. I was stunned to learn that for St. Francis DeSales, it took him several years to control his anger. Little by little, I can feel it slowly withering away.

Maybe you think you want no part of sanctity, after all the sinners are much more fun. Really? Is it fun to be captive inside your own body? Things may seem fun in the moment, but when reality sets in, not only are you not having fun, you are filled with regret. Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't feel guilty for your sins. God gave us the gifts of wisdom, understanding and knowledge at our baptism, so that we would know better and receive the Sacrament of Penance. When we do receive that sacrament, we must let go of the guilt for God has forgiven us not on human terms but in His divinity releasing us from our sins. That is freedom at its best.

Finally, choose a saint and get to know them. Learn how they became saints and what stood in their way. Pray to them and ask them for their aid. You are being called, now if only you'll answer.

No comments: