Prayer for Writers
(taken from Saintly Support: A Prayer for Every Problem)

May the Lord guide me and all those who write for a living. Through your prayers, St. Frances de Sales, I ask for your intercession as I attempt to bring the written word to the world. Let us pray that God takes me in the palm of His hand and inspires my creativity and inspires my success. St. Francis de Sales, you understand the dedication required in this profession. Pray for God to inspire and allow ideas to flow. In His name, let my words reflect my faith for others to read. Amen.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Whatsoever you do...

We al l know this line: Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto Me. Jesus instructed us that the greatest commandment is to love your neighbor. Mother Theresa once said that the greatest starvation in the world was that of a lack of love. While it's easy to love those who love us (most of the time :) ), it's a bit of a challenge to love those that do not love us. It's a challenge we must face nonetheless.

When I was in school, two of my teachers had very different views on love. One proclaimed that love was a feeling, while the other shouted that love was a choice. At that young age, it seemed the obvious answer was that love had to be a feeling. Only later did I realize that true love is a choice made by the free will. True love chooses sacrifice of self for the good of the other. The truest love is the desire of the other to gain heaven, even if it means we must deny ourselves in the process.

Have you ever heard the term "Kill them with kindness." Let's put a little spin on that intention by choosing to put out the flames of anger, bitterness or sadness with an effort to bring some light to our neighbor. Sometimes all it takes is a little word or even a gentle smile. A smile could shatter a hardened heart into pieces. To again quote Mother Theresa, she said there is no greater gift than a smile for the smile is the beginning of love. You may be surprised one day to find that one little gesture of yours was the very thing your neighbor needed in his journey to eternal life.

No comments: