Prayer for Writers
(taken from Saintly Support: A Prayer for Every Problem)

May the Lord guide me and all those who write for a living. Through your prayers, St. Frances de Sales, I ask for your intercession as I attempt to bring the written word to the world. Let us pray that God takes me in the palm of His hand and inspires my creativity and inspires my success. St. Francis de Sales, you understand the dedication required in this profession. Pray for God to inspire and allow ideas to flow. In His name, let my words reflect my faith for others to read. Amen.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pray Well ~ Pray Often ~ Pray Much

When is the last time you talked to God? Have you lost hope after it seems your prayer has not been answered?

Suppose your son or daughter, niece or nephew asked you for a special gift that you thought they deserved but you wanted to wait until just the right time to present it. How would you feel if the child demanded the gift immediately and stomped away because her demand was not fulfilled? I know that if that were me, I'd be insulted and devastated. If I gave the gift now, there would be no gratitude on the part of the child and the gift might be wasted. So, I'd hold it until the child humbled himself and asked for forgiveness.

Now imagine how God feels when we give up praying because we do not receive what we are asking for in our own timeframe. My guess is that He'd also be insulted and devastated. Why devastated? Because He loves us and wants us to be happy, but He also wants us to persevere in prayer.

There are times when certain situations seem to have no hope in sight. It is at the very peak of those moments that we should pray all the more because your prayers become louder and clearer until finally comes the answer. More times than not, the answer is even greater than we hoped for. Take St. Monica, for instance (whose feast we celebrate today). She prayed unceasingly for her son who was wicked in his ways. Not only did her son have a conversion of heart, but he became the great St. Augustine and is a Doctor of the Church. God had stored up all her prayers for Augustine waiting only for him to open his heart to which they flooded in making him a great saint. Imagine if she had given up hope!

I inspire you to start right now. Start simple. One Hail Mary said well is worth more than a rosary said poorly. Ask God to teach you how to pray. Talk to Him. Tell Him your worries, your needs and even your wants. Tell Him how you felt when someone hurt your feelings. He'll, no doubt, bring you comfort. Pray for others, especially in these days of confusion and temptation. Don't forget to thank Him for all of the blessings He's given you and that you praise, adore and love Him. I can't promise you an easy life, but I can promise a rosier view of life. My prayer for you is to one day hear these words: 'Well done, my good and faithful servant. Come, share your master's joy.'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happened across this site a few days ago. It touched my heart so much, I just had to read it again. Only this time was simply amazing. The picture you added went deep into my heart. I hope and pray that you write again real soon and continue writing. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

I do not believe God has TAKEN from me what I cherished most. I believe that that which was taken was meant to be taken. But for a man who so loved God, and so loved his famuily what solace, what "rosier" picture of life do you offer me? How do you write such things when death is at the door knocking, waiting. You've been blessed in life I know because I know you, but how do you put these pieces back together when the hammer of death falls on those you love? You have your husband, you have your children, your parents and your siblings. I've lost not only my best friend, but someone very special to me. Am I supposed to sit here on this earth and think he is well in Heaven? What kind if any of just reward is death and eternal life if those you truly care about are not with you? I know you....and you know me, and as much as I'd like to honor that person whom I've lost, I'm afraid the anger and rage inside is beginning to take it's toll. May God Bless you and yours, truly, deeply, devotionally. His voice is fading, I am becoming numb, I fear I will not be saved, for I was once a warrior of Christ, but not when that much matters most was taken from me, I find myself glowing, burning in contempt about that which was taken. I should have been taken, not him and though I do claim to understand God's ways, I feel my relationship growing ever more distant. He will not save me, because I fail to save myself as I begin to slip...